For many of us, our pets are our best friends and biggest defenders. We love them like family, even though they bark and chase squirrels instead of talking and telling jokes. In return for our unconditional love, they protect us from burglars, give us companionship on lonely nights, and make good conversation in the carpool lane (okay… maybe not that last one). So when we come across a prayer for our dogs, it just feels right to send it their way. In this post you’ll find prayers for your dog who has been abused or is sick or dying—along with general prayers for your best furry friend. May God bless you both!
Powerful Prayers For My Dog
1. A Prayer For My Dog: My Friend and Protector
- A Prayer For My Dog: My Friend and Protector
God, please help my dog overcome fear. Please give her the strength to face all of the obstacles in her life and walk through them with courage. Help her overcome anxiety, so that she can be happy and healthy.
- A Prayer For My Dog: Touching Heaven With Her Tails
Father, please help my dog’s tail wag tirelessly. May she live long enough to wear out her bones with happiness as she continues to bring joy into our lives for many years to come!
2. A Prayer For My Dog: Who Has Been Abused
Please have mercy on my dog. I pray that you will heal him of the wounds he has suffered at the hands of his owner. Shield him from further abuse and give him the strength to endure what he has already endured.
Protect my dog’s future by making sure that whoever adopts him or her is someone who will love and care for them as they deserve!
3. A Prayer For My Dog: Who Is Sick
I pray for my dog. He is sick and needs your healing touch. Please help him to get the right treatment and be strong during this difficult time. Help him to trust in you and know that you will make all things right in the end. Please keep his family and friends close to their hearts during this hard time as well. Give them peace of mind knowing that they are not alone in their sorrows but that they can lean on each other for support through these difficult days ahead. Amen!
4. A Prayer For My Dog: Who Is Dying
- Thank you for the trust and love that my dog has given me.
- Please keep him safe from harm, and help him to know when it’s time to go back home with you.
- Help me be strong for my family as well as my dog, so we can all get through this together.
5. A Prayer For My Dog: Who Has Died
- Dear Lord, I thank you for the many blessings in my life. Thank you for the love that we receive from our pets and how they enrich our lives. Please comfort those who have lost their beloved pets, and give them peace of mind. For those who are grieving the loss of a pet, please help them to understand that their pet is safe with you now, and will always be missed by their family members.
- Dear Heavenly Father, I pray for all pet owners who have lost their beloved animal companions during this difficult time on earth; also known as “pets.” In particular, I would like to extend my deepest sympathy towards ______________ (name). We know that she/he has gone home to heaven where she/he will be reunited with other loved ones who have passed away before her/himself.
6. A prayer for the pure love we receive from our pets.
Please give me strength during this time of grief. Help me to remember that my dog was only doing what she loved to do: running and playing outside. Please give her comfort in heaven. And please bless those who will take care of her, including the veterinarian and staff who treated her so well.
Please grant them the gift of compassion for animals and the grace to continue their work helping sick animals find new homes where they can receive care until they are ready for adoption again.
To wrap all of this up, let’s return to the words of St. David: “God created the dog, and it was good. God created man, and it was better.” Human beings are not superior to dogs in every way; we have our shortcomings, too. But our capacity for compassion and gratitude is what makes us special, and that’s why we should be thankful for having a dog in our lives. Our dogs give us something wonderful: unconditional love. That’s a priceless gift that deserves our own expression of thanks through prayer!